The hundred of Selbrittenden: Introduction

The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7. Originally published by W Bristow, Canterbury, 1798.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Edward Hasted, 'The hundred of Selbrittenden: Introduction', in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7(Canterbury, 1798), British History Online https://prod.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/p157 [accessed 3 April 2025].

Edward Hasted, 'The hundred of Selbrittenden: Introduction', in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7(Canterbury, 1798), British History Online, accessed April 3, 2025, https://prod.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/p157.

Edward Hasted. "The hundred of Selbrittenden: Introduction". The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7. (Canterbury, 1798), British History Online. Web. 3 April 2025. https://prod.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/p157.

THE HUNDRED OF SELBRITTENDEN

LIES the next eastward from that of Barkley. It is written in Domesday, Selebrist hundred, and afterwards in other antient records, Selebrichtindene. In the 20th year of Edward III. it is spelt Selbrightinden.

THIS HUNDRED CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISH OF
SANDHURST,

With the church, and part of the parishes of BENENDEN, HAWKHURST, and NEWENDEN, the churches of which are in other hundreds. One constable has jurisdiction over it.